Sunday, May 2, 2010

05/02/10

The weather this past week has changed significantly. We've finally hit the point where the weather from here on out is going to be as hot as blazes! I know it's hot when my students are praying for rain to cool it down. These are the same students who wear down jackets when it's 75 degrees! The trouble isn't the heat itself, but more the humidity and lack of wind. Fortunately, both generators are working so we are able to run our air-conditioners! We don't have them in school, but fortunately for me, my room doesn't get the hottest. I have a big almond tree growing outside of my window so it blocks the morning sun for the most part.

Other than it being hot, school has been going well. I am tutoring a few more students so that has been fun. It's always helpful to work with students one-on-one, especially when you can tell that they want to learn and you can see their gains. Some students are asking only because it's the end of the year. The problem with this is that I have to reinforce to them that this extra push toward the end needs to continue next year. For example, if a student isn't doing too well and they try really hard at the end and do well (where the material is the most difficult) it's proof that they have the knowledge to go on to the next year. However, if a student only makes that push toward the end of the year, but doesn't continue to work as hard the next year, then they are most likely going to struggle early on.

Other than having a few new students for tutoring, school has been going on about the same as normal. I am amazed that we only have four more weeks left. Not quite four full weeks as graduation will be during the last week of May! It's an exciting time of the year, but also sad to see the Seniors go because you always have to realize that there are some that you most likely won't see again. I didn't teach the seniors this year, but had them as juniors last year. There are a lot of fun students in that class. It's strange to think that my second year here is coming to an end so soon. I am anxious to get home to see everyone, but knowing that we only have four more weeks makes me want to take it all in while I am still here. It's a great place to be.

No comments: